Meal Allowances for Truck Drivers PDF Print E-mail
Written by Jack Hollingsworth   
Wednesday, 19 March 2008

Meal allowances have changed this year for long-haul truck drivers.

You are a long-haul truck driver if you are an employee whose main duty of employment is transporting goods by way of driving a long-haul truck, whether or not your employer's main business is transporting goods, passengers, or both.

Under proposed changes, meal and beverage expenses of long-haul truck drivers will be deductible at a higher rate than the 50% permitted for other transportation employees. During eligible travel periods, meal and beverage expenses incurred after March 18, 2007, will be deductible at a rate of 60%.

A long-haul truck is a truck or tractor that is designed for, and primarily used for, hauling freight, and has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 11,788 kg.

The form to fill out and present to your tax preparer is on the CRA Website, and it can be retrieved by clicking on the following link:

Meal Allowance for Truck Drivers

Last Updated ( Friday, 04 September 2009 )
< Prev   Next >
Joomla Templates by JoomlaShack